INSIGHTS, RESOURCES & EVENTS
Culture + People = Business
What is Business Culture?
If your business doesn’t have a culture, it is lacking life blood, or an organism that is actually living and works together. A good culture within a business will produce positive results and will make people want to be there and bring out the potential and growth in your business because people are wanting to come to work to enjoy that culture.
In every department of your business, no matter where your employees are, people and culture matters. Culture drives performance and will increase employee satisfaction, engagement and happiness.
What is ‘culture’?
Culture will determine how different levels of staff communicate with one another as well as how employees deal with clients and customers. Culture is all about:
- How people feel
- Their emotions when they are at work
- Do they want to come to the business? Or are they just bored and tired and sick of work and want to get home?
If you don’t have a culture that is aligned with your business objectives and aligned with your goals, you will not achieve them.
What makes a culture?
Each culture is unique, but we believe that there are at least 5 common components that help to make up the foundation of a great culture:
- Vision ⟶ A great culture starts with a vision and a mission statement
- Values ⟶ A company’s values are the core of its culture.
- People ⟶ No company can build a coherent culture without people who either share its core values or poses the willingness and ability to embrace those values.
- Story ⟶ Every organisation has a unique history and the ability to form that history into a compelling story is a core element of culture formation.
- Place ⟶ Place shapes culture, place – from cities to architecture or aesthetic design – it impacts the behaviours of people in the workplace.
It is important to understand that building a positive culture means ‘Culture starts at the top’ Put simply, this means that those at the top of the business need to model the attitudes and behaviours that you want to see in your team. Secondly, you need to ‘Be Transparent’ – if you want to build trust with your people, communication is key. Lastly, ‘Say thank you’ – show your appreciation towards others in the team.
Why is culture so important to business success?
Building a strong culture within a team is at the core of business success. You want a culture that recognises and embraces shared values, attitudes, standards and beliefs – and all of these must tie into the goals of the organisation.
In every department of your business, no matter where your employees are or what task they are performing on a daily basis, people and culture matters – culture always drives performance. As Zig Ziglar said ‘You don’t build a business. You build people and then people build the business’.
Looking for help with culture in the workplace?
Get in touch with our space specialists today: firstname.lastname@example.org | +44 (0) 28 9442 5200